Sandy Springs, Georgia
Dr. Chacko Featured on the Cover of
Atlanta's Top Doctor Magazine
Sandy Springs, Georgia, is a city in north Georgia, incorporated in December 2005. It is the affluent suburb just north of Atlanta and is the eighth-largest city in the state and the third-largest city in the Atlanta metropolitan area. According to the US Census Bureau, the 2008 estimated population was 82,674. Sandy Springs is located in north Fulton County, Georgia, just south of Roswell and west of Dunwoody, and is named for the sandy springs that still exist in the city as a protected historic site. It is the second-largest of the three official cities of the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area.
In 1851 Wilson Spruill donated five acres (two hectares) of land for the founding of the Sandy Springs United Methodist Church, near the sandy spring for which the city is named. In 1905 the Hammond School was built at Johnson Ferry Road and Mt. Vernon Highway, across the street from the church.
After World War II, Sandy Springs experienced a housing boom, bringing new residents and major land development. In the 1960s and 1970s Georgia 400 and Interstate 285 connected Sandy Springs to metro Atlanta.