If you spend the holiday season sniffling and sneezing because of allergies, the culprit may be your Christmas tree. According to a research study presented recently at the annual meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, live greenery can raise the mold levels in your home by as much as five times within just a couple of weeks.
Reducing Christmas Tree Allergy Symptoms:
The best option for keeping allergy symptoms in check is to avoid bringing live trees and greenery into your home. If this is not possible, you may be able to reduce your symptoms by cleaning your tree before bringing it into your home.
• Shake out as much of the debris from the branches as possible.
• Rinse the tree with a sprayer or hose, and then leave the tree outdoors to dry a couple of days.
• Try to limit the amount of time that the tree is in your home to no more than 7 days.
Another option is to purchase an artificial Christmas tree, but even artificial trees are not without their problems. Trees that are improperly stored can collect dust and mold that can also trigger allergy symptoms. Artificial trees should be stored in waterproof containers that will help protect them from dust and mold and cleaned before they are brought into the house.
Regardless of the type of allergies that you may experience, we can create a customized treatment plan to help alleviate your symptoms. Contact us today for a consultation.